Facebook

FAQs

Do I have to see my doctor first to confirm the pregnancy before I see a midwife?

No you don’t. We can do a free pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy and once confirmed we can order all the relevant blood tests and scans.

Do I have to pay to have a midwife?

Midwifery care in NZ is free if you:

  • are eligible for publicly funded health and disability services in their own right OR
  • if your husband, civil union partner or de facto partner is a/an:
    • New Zealand citizen OR
    • New Zealand resident or permanent resident visa holder OR
    • Australian citizen or Australian permanent resident visa holder who has been living, or who intends to live, in New Zealand for two years or longer OR
    • refugee or protected person, or is applying or appealing for refugee or protected person status, or is a victim or suspected victim of a people trafficking offense OR
    • work visa holder able to stay in New Zealand for 24 consecutive months (time spent lawfully in New Zealand immediately before the start of the work visa counts toward the two year requirement) OR
    • interim visa holder who was eligible immediately before the interim visa was issued OR
  • are pregnant with a child that is found to be a New Zealand citizen by birth.

Partners of NZ Aid Programme students studying in New Zealand are eligible in their own right.

Cover under Reciprocal Health Agreements with the UK and Australia

Some women are not fully eligible for publicly funded maternity services, and do not have eligible partners, but are eligible for a limited range of services under reciprocal health agreements New Zealand has with Australia and the United Kingdom.

If a UK citizen or Australian resident is pregnant and covered under one of these agreements, they are eligible for immediate and necessary maternity care, including labour and birth, and immediate post-natal services. They must meet other eligibility criteria for fully funded LMC services.

Reciprocal health cover does not extend to partners or dependants of people covered by these agreements. See Reciprocal Health Agreements for further information, reference: B8 and B9).

Please see the Ministry of Health Website for more details.

Ministry of Health Pregnancy services

Do I have to have the blood tests and scans that are offered to me?

No you don’t. None of the routine screening tests are compulsory. After discussion with you about these tests, it is then your choice as to whether you have them or not. These tests are offered to you to screen for various reason and are there to help put a safe care plan in place for you and your baby. You can decline any test you are not comfortable doing or are unsure of why you are doing them. Please ask us to explain if you are not sure what the test on offer is for.

Do I have to have my baby in a hospital?

No you don’t, you have the choice to birth at home, in a birthing unit, or a hospital.

I had a Caesarian for my first baby, can I have a vaginal birth with my next baby?

Yes you can. Please follow the link for more information about this here or on our resources page

Where can I do my antenatal classes?

Please contact us for a list of antenatal classes near you

Do I have to do antenatal classes?

No you don’t. These are offered to you to help enhance your knowledge about what your body is doing during pregnancy, what stage your baby is up to, information about the labour and birth, pain relief options, practical parenting advice amongst other important information. These classes can sometimes offer support from the other participants and even form coffee groups which can further provide you with extra support or just someone else to talk to who may be experiencing the same thing as you.

My midwife has told me I am Rhesus negative, what does this mean?

Rhesus factor is a substance (blood product) found in blood. Approximately 85% of the population has the rhesus factor and the remaining 15% percent do not. It is symbolised by the plus or minus after your blood group, for example, A- is rhesus negative and A+ is rhesus positive.

If you are pregnant with negative ( – ) blood, there are some things you might like to know if your partner has rhesus positive ( + ) blood. This does not apply to mothers with rhesus positive ( + ) blood which does not pose any problem.

Please go to the following links for more information about this blood group for management and treatment during and after pregnancy.

Kids Health Rh Incompatibility